Manistee County School Truancy Plan
Adopted for 2021-22 school year.
NOTE: This plan is designed to reach students before they become a truancy situation. In general, this plan is an intervention meant to be proactive rather than reactive.
- Schools will operate within their district’s rules for excused/unexcused absences and parent notification.
- At 3 unexcused absences districts internal teams to include, but not limited to, administrators, counselors, social workers, teachers, behavioral health workers (as part of Safe Net program or other behavioral health contacts) and Manistee City Police or Sheriff Dept. School Liaison/Truancy Officer will make an effort to reach the student, parent, or both to discuss the reasons for being absent.
- At 5 unexcused absences, the Manistee City Police or Sheriff Dept. School Liaison/Truancy Officer will make a Diversion Program Referral to the Manistee County Juvenile Court as well as make contact with the student, parent or both.
- After 5 unexcused absences schools will meet with the parents of the truant student and create a plan to improve the student’s attendance. Districts will ensure that written documentation (including date and time) of these meetings and plan are in place. If parents are not able to be reached to set up a meeting a Certified Letter will be sent.
- If improved attendance does not occur, the school will send the following items, in a timely fashion, to the Manistee ISD Superintendent: Powerschool Demographic information, Attendance Report, Current Grades, and information from the school’s meeting with the parents (i.e. date of meeting, time of meeting, plan created, etc…).All documentation submitted must have the date and time listed. Documentation should be significant enough to warrant forwarding on to the Manistee County Prosecutor.
- The MISD Supt. will forward this information to the Manistee City Police or Sheriff Dept. School Liaison/Truancy Officer who will then contact the family and determine why the attendance issues are still occurring and notify them of impending Truancy Referral. The Manistee City Police or Sheriff Dept. School Liaison/Truancy Officer will notify the District and copy the ISD Superintendent as to whether or not contact was made with the family and what if anything was discussed/shared during the contact.
- If attendance still doesn’t improve, the Manistee City Police or Sheriff Dept. School Liaison/Truancy Officer will submit the necessary paperwork and all documentation received to the Prosecuting Attorney’s office.
NOTE: Refer to individual districts for tardy policies AND what constitutes an unexcused absence.